Sunday, February 27, 2011

Welcome to Nature's Prozac


Hello everyone and welcome to Nature’s Prozac. This blog is dedicated to looking for all natural alternatives to promoting your mental health. My name is Dr. Dixie Meyer, PhD and I am a counselor and clinical mental health counseling professor. The concept behind this blog grew out of conversations I regularly have with friends and family.  I prefer to live a healthy lifestyle including eating healthy, nutrient rich foods and I rarely turn to medications for health benefits. Therefore, often my conversations with friends and family involve them describing aliments to me where I suggest foods that could help alleviate their symptoms. This, also, transfers to my counseling practice. I am a proponent for holistic counseling and having all of my clients maintain a healthy lifestyle. Often times, when clients start treating their bodies right, their mood improves. Witnessing these transformations was the impetus for my research in neuroscience and more specifically, neurochemistry. What you will read here in this blog will be empirically supported. I will provide information about specific nutrients or activities that positively influence your brain chemistry. There will be no promises or outlandish claims, only information about how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  It will then be your decision if you need and want to incorporate the research into your own life.


I am dedicating this blog to wellness and giving everyone the tools they need to take control of their own mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment